To instantly up the flirty factor, add a blush shoe. Heeled, flat, sandal, loafer...the shade goes with everything, works in nearly every style and is a fun take on a traditional nude hue. Plus it helps elongate the legs - always a good thing! Pair open-toed options with similarly monotone polish shades - whites and pinks look feminine and chic - or contrast in bold tones - think tangerine or mint - for an unexpected pop!
The first day of spring, it snowed. And although it was really just a dusting, it was as if Mother Nature was saying, "Now wait just a minute..." Thankfully it seems spring has spring (for real) and not a moment too soon! Here a few things I'm excited about this season:
- Farmer's Markets - We try to eat as seasonally as possible, and I'm so ready for zucchini, artichokes, fresh herbs, and sweet peas. Here is a cheat sheet for what produce to pick up this season.
-Tulips! Any color, any style, and combination is perfect. They add instant springiness (real word?) to any room and the more, the merrier!
- Banishing tights (and socks) for good. Each year, I do this rather stupid thing where once I stop wearing tights, I can't go back. Instead, I'll opt for fun patterned pants (these wide leg and these paisley print are amazing!) or jeans, flats and slightly chilled ankles. Does this make total sense? Not really, but it's a self-inflicted rule that I refuse to break. My bare ankles take a stance and will the warm weather upon us.
- Weekend escapes. We try to get out and explore all year round (two weeks ago we stayed in a 19th century lighthouse!), but doing so in the spring (and the fall) is the best! Warm enough to venture out of the car to check out hidden spots, but without the summer traffic!
- My Birthday!!
- Bike Rides. Lazy afternoon rides near the beach are my favorite. How fun are these cruisers in aqua?!
What's on your spring to-do list?
If there ever was a kitchen to crush on, it would have to be the dreamy one from Father of the Bride. A classic from start to finish, this kitchen was probably the first one I ever stopped and took notice of. (And obviously it is the handiwork of Nancy Myers.) While it clearly has a 90's vibe, it is full of timeless elements that still inspire envy.
Finding great interior shots of the kitchen was a bit tricky, but the above give a glimpse into this homey kitchen full of white, cream and butcher block. Here are a few ways to incorporate a touch of this classic look into your kitchen.
I don't know about you, but I'm seriously ready for some sun, and not the hovering-slightly-above-freezing sunny day we had today. After a few scrolls through Instagram, where it seems like everyone is at the beach, I'm ready to pack my bags for warmer locales. Here is what I'd bring!
1. J-CrewSunglasses in Betty/ 2. Dolce & Gabbana /3. Tuckernuck Tassle Earrings / 4. Eugenia Kim Fedora/ 5. Tory Burch Tunic/ 6. Butter London Polish in Jolly Good 7. Castaner Espadrilles/ 8. Calypso Tote
Here's to thinking warm thoughts!
Reason 1001 why old Hollywood was classier than today - their vacation style.
For those who love to bake, this is a game-changer.
Why featuring some greenery in the bathroom might be the best idea ever.
This blush shoe moment has me craving spring!
Daylight savings time is officially less than one month away (but whose counting?!), and I'm craving some sunny vibes. I've already switched up my bedding for a lighter, yet still cozy feel, indulged in some iced lattes, from under a heavy throw, and am ready to trade in my robe for a lighter, brighter version. While that may be jumping a bit too far ahead (it's literally snowing as I write this!), these lightweight beauties have me ready for spring.
1. Eberjay - Super delicate and feminine, this robe can easily be bridal, but doesn't have to be limited to just the big day.
2. Oscar de la Renta (Bloomingdales) - A fun poppy pattern makes it an easy transition piece.
3. Ralph Lauren (Bloomingdales) - A total classic. I love that it looks borrowed from the boys, but is still trim.
4. Pretty Plum Sugar - This one is my favorite! I love that it comes in a light and short version. And the eye mask? What's not to love?!
5. Pretty Plum Sugar - Featuring a soft poppy pattern, this is a fun, spring-y wrapper.
6. Calvin Klein - Incredibly soft, this dove gray option is the perfect weight to wear alone or thrown over pjs.
7. Oscar de la Renta (Bloomingdales) - I love this one! It begs to be taken somewhere sunny and the bright pattern could make for a fun cover up.
8. DKNY - Sure, it's black, but it's timeless and the texture is completely luxe.
El Nino may have tricked us into thinking about spring in December, but Blizzard Jonas has blown in to remind the East Coast what winter is all about. The wind is howling, snowflakes are frantically swirling and a couple literally just cross-country skied down our street. This winter wonderland has me dreaming of our upcoming ski trip and curling up in front of a fire. Here are a few dreamy fireplaces that are keeping me warm until then:
It may not be snowmageddon (at least not yet), but it IS time to winterize your skincare routine. And for me that means its time to step up my exfoliation game. (Remove dull, dry skin, boost cellular turnover and help reveal a more even, healthy complexion? Yes, please!) During the warmer months I typically exfoliate approximately 2-3 times a week, but with winter and it's dry, freezing wind coupled with my hot air heating, its time to up the ante, in a gentle, skin-pampering way, of course! Here's how I keep my skin in shape when the weather turns chilly.
- A gentle exfoliating cleanser. I have tried a TON of exfoliators, but having pretty sensitive skin, I've learned to steer clear of cleansers that are a bit too gritty. (You know which ones I'm talking about.) These can be a bit too abrasive and can actually leave micro-tears. Instead I look for a gentle scrub that I can use daily. This one from VMV Hypoallergenics is amazing! I love that it has a Dry Skin option that doesn't leave my skin feeling tight and itchy.
-Toner. I know so many people are anti-toner, but I'm a believer! Some people have a mask for every skin situation, I have a toner. Breakouts? Dark Spots? General skin prep? Got 'em covered (much to the chagrin of Mr. C, the collection of beauty products that lives in our bathroom seems to multiple overnight). Right now, I'm using this one which is formulated with unbuffered glycolic acid to help cell turnover and force new, younger, brighter cells to the surface. Maybe it's just me, but I find it strangely satisfying when I see a bit of left over dirt or makeup on the cotton ball after toning. It makes me think just how much is left behind by cleanser and how my skin is now squeaky clean. I use mine twice daily.
- Clarisonic. I'll be the first to admit that I was late to the Clarisonic party. Seriously late. But having recently received the Mia 2 for Christmas, I can say that I'm thoroughly smitten! After getting a little too brush happy, I've scaled back and starting using using it every 2 to 3 days with a gentle cream cleanser, and I'm really happy with the results. Afterward, I use a toner to seal the deal, obviously.
After all this exfoliation, I layer on a lightweight cream with SPF for day or a heavier, more nourishing cream or oil at night to help lock in moisture.
How do you get your skin winter-ready?
New year, new you, right? Eat cleaner! Work out more! Become a DIY wonder woman who is simultaneously present, mindful and gracious! One scroll on Instagram, and we're inundated with so many #lifegoals that it can be positively overwhelming. So much so that our resolutions can be so lofty that they are unattainable and, ultimately, unfulfilled. This year I'm tackling a series of small resolutions that I can weave to my routine in a more realistic way. Here are three of my resolutions for 2016:
1. Edit. Now is the time to edit your closet and evaluate what you have (and what you need). I'm a classic clothing hoarder. If it fits, I keep it even if I haven't worn it in forever or ever... Apartment living does not take kindly to this habit. If you don't like/haven't worn an item in years/doesn't fit/ is stained, ripped or otherwise damaged, evaluate whether it should be tossed or donated. It's not doing anything just sitting there taking up space. (I'm forcing Mr. C to do this too!) This clears up valuable real estate in your closet so you can take a hard look at your wardrobe. What do you really need? What do you need to stop buying? If your favorite items need some TLC, now is the time. Make your wardrobe work for you!
2. De-clutter. A sub-bullet to the editing process but this time applied to my inbox. If my inbox is organized, my mind is calm. (Am I alone here?) Over the course of the year, I have signed up for a seemingly infinite amount of newsletters. Everyday I'm faced with sales, discounts, reminders, shop nows!, don't forgets and more. Go through these, reduce the frequency of emails or better yet, unsubscribe. Want more news/discounts/reminders later? You can always re-subscribe with no hard feelings. An organized inbox is a happy inbox.
3. Make myself accountable. I'm all about the whole "Be a Better Person" resolution, but this is vague and ultimately not that helpful. This year, I'm holding myself accountable for specific "ways to be better" - working out 2-3x per week, floss daily, blog weekly. Write it done and make it happen!
What are your resolutions for 2016?
Have you seen the new HGTV Dream House yet? (If not, check it out here.) It is seriously dreamy! Located on Merritt Island, off the coast of Florida, this year's Dream Home completely embodies modern seaside chic with calming blues and whites peppered with nautical nods. However what I love about this house, unlike so many seaside-inspired styles, is that it's less shabby chic and more sophisticated island glam. One of my favorite rooms in the space was the tangerine guestroom. Decked out in varying juicy shades of orange, it felt cozy and upscale at the same time. Check it out:
Ready to move in, too? Here are a few easy ways to incorporate this punchy color into your home (ocean view not included):